Special Scholarship Program (SSP) is only for doctoral candidates and project-based. (You can do well to check out the project list here)
Before submitting a formal application, anyone intending to apply must send a completed Online Pre-Application Request to the leader of his/her preferred SSP project via KUT Online Pre-Application Request Form. Only individuals who have obtained the permission of the leader of their preferred project are eligible to formally apply to the SSP program.
To complete the scholarship program and acquire a doctoral degree, publication of 2 or more high level reviewed papers is required by at least two months before the completion of 3 years program.
We do not have any brochures for SSP. You can find all necessary information and download application form from this web site.
- KUT Online Pre-Application Request Form is NOT available at the following date and time due to system maintenance. Please avoid sending your Online Pre-Application Request during this time.
July 7th JST18:00-JST20:00
The Special Scholarship Program (SSP) Application Guidelines for Prospective Students
PROGRAM OF STUDY
- Doctoral Program (3 years)
- Department of Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering
MEDIUM OF STUDY
NUMBER OF STUDENTS TO BE ADMITTED
No more than 3 SSP students can be enrolled concurrently for each project leader. See the SSP project list for details of which projects currently have places available for SSP students.
- One year
- *The term will be extended for increments of one year up to a total of three years, unless the university terminates the SSP student status for any of the reasons stated in paragraph 13 below, Termination of SSP Student Status.
- The SSP student must work 50 hours per month for a specific research project at the university.
- The SSP student must report his/her study and research achievements to the dean of the Graduate School of Engineering at the end of each semester. The submitted report will be evaluated by the dean of the Graduate School of Engineering.
- Exemption from 30,000 yen entrance examination fee, 300,000 yen enrollment fee and 535,800 yen/year tuition fee
- To support living expenses, 150,000 yen/month is paid as salary for research project work.
- *You must pay some amount of taxes from this salary.
- 150,000 yen is provided for travel and initial living costs. (given only to international applicants who are living outside Japan, and who have, or have the intention to acquire, “Student” status of Japanese residence at the time of entry into Japan)
For more details click here.
Applicants are required to meet all of the following conditions;
- To have permission from the leader of the applicant’s preferred SSP project to apply for that project
- To hold a degree from an accredited institution comparable to the master’s degree offered at KUT after 18 years of education, or to be scheduled to acquire such a degree before the KUT enrollment date
- To be 35 years old or under at the time of enrollment, in principle
- To have an excellent academic record and strong bachelor’s and master’s degrees from reputable universities
- To have the intention, adequate knowledge and research skill to work in the research project
- To have high English proficiency
- Choose one research project from the SSP Research Project List
- Send a completed Online Pre-Application Request to the leader of your preferred project via KUT Online Pre-Application Request Form (KUT Online Pre-Application Request Form is here) and obtain the leader’s permission to apply for that SSP project. Only one pre-application request should be sent to the leader of a project during a given enrollment period. Please note that a project leader may not contact you in the case where your pre-application request is rejected.
- When you obtain the permission of the project leader, complete all required documents and submit them to KUT by post. The documents must reach KUT by the deadline.
*Considering that it may take a considerable time to arrange all application documents for the formal application, the applicants are encouraged to send a pre-application request to the leader of his/her preferred project at least 6 weeks prior to the formal application deadline.
Check out the list of required SSP Application Documents
Check out the KUT Online Pre-Application Request Form as well
Only applicants who have obtained the permission of the leader of their preferred project are eligible to submit an application with documentation to KUT. The admission decision will be made after examination of: the submitted documents; and the results of an interview of the applicant, an English written exam and a written academic achievement exam in the field of specialization required for the conduct of the selected research project.
Note 1: Applicants may be rejected before they take the interview and written exam.
Note 2: The examination (interview and written exam) may be conducted via Webex or other communication tool.
Note 3: The on-site interview and written exams will be held at a venue to be designated separately. Examinations for foreign applicants will usually be conducted in the applicant’s home country. However, the examinations for applicants residing in Japan will be conducted at Kochi University of Technology (KUT).
Note 4: The admission decision may be delayed if KUT is unable to conduct the interview and the written exam during the designated period.
For the Admission Schedule click here.
TERMINATION OF SSP STUDENT STATUS
Your SSP student status will be terminated in the following cases;
- In the case where a student’s report, submitted in accordance with term “6. Obligations” 2., is assessed as being below the standard for SSP students.
- In the case of behavior which is deemed inappropriate for a SSP student.
All inquiries and application documents must be addressed to:
International Relations Section
Kochi University of Technology
Tosayamada, Kami City
Kochi 782-8502, JAPAN
Official Website: https://www.kochi-tech.ac.jp/english/admission/
- MasterCard Foundation Scholarship At University of California Berkeley
- University of Queensland International PhD Scholarship in Structural Biology of TIR Domain-Containing Proteins Australia
- Why You Should Apply For The Special Scholarship Program (SSP)
- How to Apply for St. George’s University International Medical Scholarships
- Rhodes Postgraduate Scholarships at Oxford University for all International Students
- Teaching/Research Assistantships and Fellowships at Arizona State University